When I get really tired of making the same thing, I will dig through my recipe books for something new. You can’t go wrong when you mix cream of chicken, scrambled eggs, and Swiss cheese together. The only thing that makes this recipe even better is the crunchy bacon bits are sprinkled on top of it. So if you like biscuits and gravy, give this recipe a try.
Creamy Swiss Eggs on Biscuits
4 Pillsbury Home Baked Classic Frozen Buttermilk Biscuits
2 green onions, sliced
2 tsp. butter
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
2/3 c. milk
1 c. (4 oz.) of shredded Swiss cheese
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 c. real bacon pieces
Bake biscuits according to recipe. Meanwhile, beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add onions. Melt butter over a medium heat. Add egg mixture and cook til almost done. In a small bowl, combine soup, milk, cheese, and pepper. Add to eggs in skillet, stirring occasionally. Cook until thoroughly heated. Spoon over open biscuit and sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts (based on original recipe): Makes four servings. 550 calories, 34 g. fat, 13 g. saturated fat, 360 mg cholesterol, 1,560 mg sodium, 33 g. carbs, 7 g. sugar, and 28 g. protein. 24% vitamin A, 40% calcium, and 14% iron.
Notes: (In the words of the First Lady, “everything is good in moderation”. Here are a few things I have done to make this recipe healthier so I can occasionally eat it for breakfast.)
- I used Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup to reduce fat and sodium.
- I always use skim milk, use reduced fat/fat free cheese, and omit the butter. This helps decrease fat as well.
- I serve this with small reduce fat biscuits (8 count refrigerator biscuits), making more servings (decreasing amount of calories and fat consumed).
- You can use a reduced sodium bacon or turkey bacon. This will decrease both sodium and fat content.
- I usually sprinkle parsley on top of this dish.
- I consider the onion optional in this recipe.