The first time I tried Stromboli was with my Grandma Fletcher in Yuma, AZ. She took me to this little pizza place in strip mall and said, “you have to try it.” If you aren’t familiar with Stromboli, it is a turnover filled with meats, cheeses, and/or veggies.
At the Minsky’s in Independence, MO, they have something similar called a Mexican Pizza Roll. I actually ended up with it by mistake one night. They gave me someone else’s order – something I realized just as they were calling me to apologize. Since they couldn’t take the pizza and pizza rolls back, I ended up trying these tasty bits that seemed to me like a Mexican Stromboli. Since I no longer live in Independence, it is a rarity that I make it back over to the only Minsky’s location I know to make these delicious bites.
I ran across this recipe on Pinterest some time ago. I forgot about it until Jeremiah and I were looking for some new recipes in my Pinterest boards before we headed out to buy groceries. It’s good but I still miss the Mexican Pizza Rolls at Minksy’s.
Cook a pound of ground beef. Drain the grease. Add packet of taco seasoning and 1 cup of water. Cook until a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Layout pizza dough and form into a rectangle. Cut in edges in strips about 3 inches in on each side using a pizza cutter. Spread with refried beans in the middle of the crust. Top with cooked taco meat. Spread with salsa. Sprinkle with cheese. Lace up crust and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- I used half the can of refried beans. I used about ¾ lb. of ground beef.
- I used Wildtree Taco seasoning.
- I only used about 1 cup of cheese. It was a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- I wish I had prepared it on the pan or foil as it was difficult to transfer to the baking sheet. I’d also suggest maybe not buying the store brand of pizza crust as it tends to come apart a little easier than the Pillsbury brand.
- My fiancé suggested we kick it up a notch. Perhaps by adding some cilantro or green onion to the bake. Jeremiah added some spicy salsa on top before eating his second piece. We also said guacamole or sour cream on top would be delicious.