A great crockpot recipe for a day you don’t really feel like cooking.
Chicken Strogenoff from Pinterest
4 frozen chicken breast
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 brick of cream cheese
3/4 c. sour cream
8 oz. cooked pasta
Place chicken in crockpot. Cover with soup and cubed cream cheese. Cook on low for 8 hours. Stir 2-3 times throughout the day. About twenty minutes before it is finished, add sour cream. On the stove, cook pasta and drain. Add pasta to crockpot and serve.
- I used reduced fat cream of mushroom soup and cream cheese.
- I used fat free sour cream.
- The orginal recipe called for egg noodles. I used penne pasta.
Ritz crackers are one of my nephew’s favorite snacks. I used leftover crackers from his visit to make this delicious looking recipe from Pinterest. If you like the flavors, I would suggest trying this breakfast recipe for Creamy Swiss Eggs on Biscuits.
Crispy Ritz Chicken
4 chicken breast
2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 c. buttermilk (or milk)
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheddar cheese)
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 can cream of chicken
3 T. sour cream
2 T. butter
Dip chicken in milk, then cheese, and finally crackers. Sprinkle with parsley. Cover and bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. In a small saucepan, melt cream of chicken, sour cream, and butter. Pour over baked chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
- I used reduced fat Ritz crackers, skim milk, and fat free cheddar cheese. Just remember that skim milk doesn’t stick as well to the chicken.
- I used 98% fat free cream of chicken and fat free sour cream. You could also substitute Greek yogurt.
- I served it with mashed potatoes. Chicken gravy also tastes good on them. I would suggest maybe a green side dish like spinach or asparagus as well. One of the Pinterest recipes suggests making cilantro lime rice to go with the chicken. I liked the home cooked meal approach.
- Another suggestion is to use the veggie flavored Ritz crackers.
It’s hot! Who wants to cook? Here is a simple summer salad recipe. It won 1st Place in a Taste of Home Healthy Cooking recipe contest. I thought it was OK but I much perfected this Poppy Seed Chicken Salad recipe.
Cantaloupe Chicken Salad with Yogurt Chive Dressing by Elizabeth King
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. reduced fat mayo
1 T. minced chives
1 T. lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. cubed cooked chicken breast
5 c. cubed cubed cantaloupe
1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
1 c. green grapes
In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and toss gentle. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts: (makes five servings) 2 cups equals 290 calories, 11 g. fat (2 g. saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 380 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbs, 2 g. fiber, 24 g. protein.
- I omitted the cucumber. However, one of the chefs at my hotel swears cantaloupe and cucumber have similar taste.
- I also used fat free mayo.