Most breakfast dishes are the same – Eggs, cheese, breakfast meat or hash brown/dough type crust. The trick to not get tried of eating the same old, same old thing is flavor. Looking for a flavorful recipe this morning, I ran across this recipe. I think my husband’s cooking style is starting to rub off on me because I decided to make some modifications. I used chives and cilantro from our herb garden.
Crescent Breakfast Bites from Delish
1 package of crescent rolls
1 c. ricotta cheese
1 c. chives
salt and pepper
6 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
1 c. white cheddar cheese
Lay crescent rolls out flat, sealing the seams. Cut with a pizza cutter into 24 pieces. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. Put a piece of crescent roll in each cup. Mix together remaining ingredients and spoon into cups. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- I used reduced fat crescent rolls.
- I did not have ricotta cheese so I substituted with light sour cream. You could also substitute with cottage cheese.
- I didn’t have white cheddar so I used regular cheddar cheese.
- I didn’t want to use a cup of chives. I sauteed about 1/2 c. yellow onion and one clove of garlic. I used about half cup of chives and cilantro with it. Lots of flavor.
- If you aren’t a yellow onion person, you could use shallots or leeks. You could also do parsley or oregano. Ham or sausage would also be good substitutions if you didn’t want bacon.
- My mix ended up being more than 24 mini-muffins. When the muffins were done, I just poured the remaining mixture in to the muffin cups and cooked. You can do that as well if you don’t want to use the crescent rolls.