I made this recipe and shared it with my boyfriend. He thinks it taste like a Whatchamacallit candy bar. I liked it enough I made it again less than a week later to share with my sister. I love that the recipe is small enough that you don’t end up with a bunch of leftover and over eat this treat.
Weight Watchers Candy from Pinterest
1 Hershey candy bar
1/4 c. reduced fat peanut butter
1 c. Fiber One cereal
Melt chocolate and peanut butter. Stir in cereal. Refrigerate until solid.
- I used Honey Clusters Fiber One cereal.
- The recipe said it made eight pieces of candy at 1 WW point each. I made four pieces instead – making them 2 WW point each.
I loved this simple three ingredient recipe. Each bite better because it is low in fat. It’s good even without the dusting of powdered sugar.
Low-fat Creamsicle Cake from Pinterest
1 box white cake mix
1 (6 oz.) non-fat Greek yogurt
1 c. orange juice
Mix all three ingredients in a bowl and pour into a 8 x 8 glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-33 minutes. Dust with powder sugar before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (makes 9 servings): 201 calories, 4.4 g. fat, 40 g. carbs, 1.1 g. fiber, and 3.3 g. protein
- I used sugar free cake and 100% orange juice to decrease sugar intake.
Friends of mine who aren’t cooks will often tell me that my recipe look good but they look to difficult. I assure you, I really don’t cooking anything that is too difficult. In cases where I have issues with recipes, I’m always honest about it. But non-cooks seem less fearful with less ingredients. Here is the first of many limited ingredient recipes I hope to share. I promise, you can’t mess this one up and will have no issue looking for the ingredients at the grocery store.
Although is was soft, the banana taste is mild. If you want a more traditional banana bread, I would recommend you check out this Betty Crocker banana bread recipe featured on a previous blog.
Three Ingredient Banana Bread from Pinterest
1 package of yellow cake mix
3-4 ripe bananas
Spray two loaf pans with non-stick spray. Mix ingredients and pour into two small loaf pans. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- I used half a cake mix, one egg, and two bananas. I baked it in a regular loaf pan for 35 minutes and it came out perfect. I used the remaining mix for the chocolate snack cake recipe.
- If you make the whole recipe and use a regular loaf pan, it will need to bake for a longer time period.
- Freeze bananas and thaw before baking. It’s a great way to avoid nats as banana get older – the perfect kind for baking banana bread.
When I was a child, my Great Grandma Kingston used to always make Rice Krispies Treats for our birthday parties. My Great Grandma Reith would make homemade ice cream. I had party cool great grandmas, right?
I used to help my mom a lot in the kitchen. One treat that I always avoided helping with though was Rice Krispies bars. They were a hot gooey mess to stir and get to stick in the pan. As I got a little older, Kellogg’s started packaging and selling these treats in the grocery store. I tried making them once in college but I learned quickly it was easier to buy the pre-made ones. My rule is if someone can do it better than you for a cheap price, buy it. They are also great treats to ship to service men and women serving our country overseas.
A few weeks ago, I ran across this recipe in the Hy-Vee ad for Simple Cereal Bars. The ad featured FrootLoops, Frosted Flakes, and Apple Jacks bars. I decided if I wanted another treat flavor, I would have to give it a try. The directions suggested making it on the stovetop. My mother used to use the microwave so I thought this might be a bit easier. I selected my large oblong Rachael Ray pan. I also sprayed both the 13 x 9 pan and silicone spoon with non-stick spray. I really think both of these things helped. Recipe challenge accepted and achieved. Pick your favorite cereal and give it a try.
FrootLoops Bars by Hy-Vee
1/4 c. of butter
6 c. mini-marshmallows
6 c. FrootLoops
Melt butter in a large saucepan on a low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and pour in cereal. Stir until completely melted. Press into greased 13 x 9 pan. This recipe serves 12.
- My mother likes to make them with Cheerios. I think Golden Grahams might also be good.
- Look for coupons for your favorite cereal and buy them when they are on sale (about every 6-8 weeks). This recipe takes a whole bag of miniature marshmallows and almost a whole box of cereal. As you know, I’m a big believer in always having a variety of cereals on hand and I love to save $.
- I put the cereal bars in the fridge to harden before cutting.